Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Vegan Chipotle Sweet Potato Burger

This is another entry in our vague, occasional series of really easy and delicious veggie burgers. The truth is, if you add equal parts of quick-cooking oats to mashed beans or sweet potatoes or squash (or whatever), it will yield a workable mixture that is well-suited to be formed into a burger patty. All you need to do from that point is add a little seasoning. Genius! 


Just to be clear, these are not the kind of burgers that are meant to taste like ground beef. We are not huge fans of those types of things. These particular burgers taste like roasted sweet potato, smoked chilies, and cumin. It's a great combination of smoky, spicy, and sweet -- especially paired with rich slices of avocado and some tangy salsa.  

Vegan Chipotle Sweet Potato Burger

1 1/2 cups baked, peeled, mashed sweet potato (1 large or 2 medium)
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic

1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 or 2 minced chipotle chilies (from a can)

Canola oil (for panfrying)

In a large bowl, mix the mashed sweet potato, oats, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, and chipotles until well incorporated. Cover and set aside in the fridge for 15 minutes to allow the moisture to distribute. Form mixture into 4 patties and pan-fry over medium heat in a little canola oil  for about 4 minutes per side. Serve on a Kaiser roll with slices of avocado, tomato, arugula, and salsa. (Serves 4.)


28 comments:

Nancie Janitz said...

Yummmmmmm!!

nugili hayat said...

hımm so delicious..:)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar said...

Mmm this sounds soooo good!

Adriana Robles said...

When I read "sweet potato" my stomach started to growl! I love when veggie patties don't taste like meat. I love the taste of the actual ingredients, but I've never tried a sweet potato pattie. I really must!! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Delicious! Added some minced red onions as well.

JFloColman said...

mmmm i have been seeing these all over pinterest, i want to make them so badly! looks amazing!

Unknown said...

This sounds really delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Maggie said...

I've made these three times since you posted the recipe. Each time I have changed the spice mix. I was especially pleased when I added some Bolst's Hot Madras curry and made a tofu based cucumber raita (I'm a strict herbivore). I'm tempted to use the same idea for "meatballs".

AJ said...

These look amazing, thanks for posting. This is a nice alternative to the good 'ole soy burger or black bean burger.

The Little Geffriauds (Les Petits Geffriauds) said...

I cannot find quick-cook oats in France. Any suggestions? These look too good not to try!

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

I don't know! They are the oats that are flat. I guess you could try instant oats if those are available. I wish I could be more help.

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

This may help: http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-steelcut-138355

look for rolled oats!

Rebecca said...

Made these today for a barbecue, and they were delicious!! Definitely love the sweet potato/chipotle combo. Some questions: Do they freeze well? How long do they last in the fridge? Thanks for the recipe! :)

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

They freeze great. Just form them into patties, freeze them on parchment, and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. They will keep in the fridge for about a week.

veghead13 said...

So good! I added about 3/4 cup of garbanzo beans (partially mashed) I had in the freezer to boost the protein. Definitely will be making these again. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, they tasted delish! Only complaint was they were a little dry in the middle but maybe I used too much potato and I didn't have any chipotle chilies. I also think they're nicer on the thinner side.

The best thing was they was quick and easy to make unlike other vegan burgers I've looked at.

katy. said...

These are delicious. Making them again, and wondering if they can be baked?

THANKS! =)

katy. said...

Oh! Also, I'm assuming they should be cooked before freezing... is this correct?

Again, thanks!!
=)

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

Yes! cook'em up before freezing.

JenSam3 said...

We enjoyed these tonight. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :-)

Katarina said...

Thanks for this recipe - absolutely delicious!

www.feedmegreensmore.com

kachtymichuk said...

These were a big hit with both my meat loving boyfriend and vegetarian friends. Thank you!

Unknown said...

This is great! I used to get a burger like this from Rainbow Market in SF when I lived there. One of my favorites and can't find it anywhere else. Going to make this tomorrow!

Unknown said...

I've made these about 5 times now, and every time they are super delicious! I always add a bit of veganaise to the garnishes, but other than that they are perfect! Thank you so much for this awesome vegan recipe.

Chad said...

Made these last night.. Amazing. The avocado adds a great bit of richness.

Unknown said...

Do you think pumpkin will work as well?
P.S.
Any other vegan recipe?

Anonymous said...

Do you think pumpkin will work?
Do you have any other vegan recipes?

Unknown said...

Do you think we could freeze these patties once cooked? It looks super yummy.